Saturday, September 28, 2013

T-one busy 7 days

So I'm sitting in the airport, thinking, surely we only just left this place; I can't believe it's time to come (other)home already!!

It's been a busy old week in preparation to come back to you all....I say in preparation, I saved a whopping 4 minutes for packing; a personal best I'm sure you'll agree!

We've both worked all week, and both been asked to promise to return when we do, which is always nice!

Monday evening saw me working for Autism NZ, which I'm not sure I've told you about yet?  I'm helping run two support groups: one every other Monday called Out of Sync, for adults with Autism/Aspergers symptoms and/or diagnoses; another on the first Sunday of every month called Oasis, a group for parents and partners.  It's really interesting and hopefully will give me a bit of an in at the organisation should a job appear.....though as usual the government seem keen to spend as little on the issue as possible.  EG: The whole Wellington branch is currently being run part time by one woman, she's trying to get more funding though so fingers crossed!  The Sunday sessions are a bit of a chance for loved ones to talk/vent/get ideas and strategies and just generally share and can be a bit heart breaking, hopefully I'll come up with some helpful gem eventually.  The Monday groups are very varied as each session there is a range of topics to discuss and (because it's so large) the group split into groups to talk about them with different facilitators.   My two most memorable topics so far have been discussing creativity and giving people a chance to share the various ways in which they've been creative...really it was just a great excuse for me to be nosy and look at some incredible peices the members had made- everything from furniture to sculptures and cryptic crosswords!  The other session which was rather eye opening was called "small talk."  One member in particular found this very hard to grasp as they couldn't understand why we weren't discussing small talk (as with all the other topics) as opposed to just indulging in it and in turn why the same rules etc didn't apply.

Tuesday took some recovering from.  Some of you may know about the...er....experience I had at the hair dressers when we first got here.  It can only be described as a comedy of errors, culminating in me being called the wrong name for hours (longer than necessary because of how late the woman, who apparently is easily distracted, was running), being told how outrageous it was that she had to learn about Anne Frank when she moved here and came to school as her life had been MUCH harder (with all due respect lady, if you're here to tell the tale then no, no it hasn't) and ending up charged $50 more than agreed, with what can only be described as a grey, stripy lop sided mullet.  Needless to say this was not the look I was going for.  I emailed the salon (which I think indicates how bad it was!) and to their credit the big boss from Auckland called me straight up and send me numerous pampering vouchers and arranged to fly down to meet with the woman, while the manager/previous owner of the branch offered to fix it for me free of charge.  Sadly the best she could do was recolour it and chop it into a bob a good 6 or 7 inches shorter than I'd finally gotten my hair to grow.

It was OK as a look, but for my next appointment (as she hadn't quite been able to fix it fully) I decided to take advantage and just sod it and start again by chopping the lot off!  This took a lot of research- and by that I mean feeding of my Pinterest addiction- and I settled on a rather lovely Sienna Miller chop.


So clutching my photo I swallowed my nerves and offered up my hair for the chop.  The hair dresser was excited.  This should always be a bit of a warning.  It should also be noted that to be "wedding ready" for our return to the UK I was also getting my nails done...which meant I was being chopped sans mirror.  Now that is a LOT weirder than you'd think....especially when other members of the styling team come over to chat to you and start bandying about names like Miley Cyrus.  For those of you not sure, this is startlingly different...recap the lovely photo above, then hark at this:
COLOUR.ME.ALARMED.

The resulting look didn't stop me leaving the flat the next day, which I guess says a lot.  It's also lucky as on Thursday night we had tickets to the opening night of WOW- World of Wearable Art.  There is no false advertising about that acronym, perhaps the word wearable, but not WOW.  It was possibly one of the most spectacular shows we've seen- made more so by the ridiculous price of our tickets.  We were promised a restricted view and ended up in the second row, granted we were right at the side of a stage in the round, but we could see everything perfectly.  The only restriction really was that there was SO much to see you didn't know where to look first!  The best way to describe the show is if Tim Burton & Baz Luhrmann got together to direct and episode of Dr Who...set during fashion week...with the help of the team from La Clique...WOW is what it would look like.  WOW indeed!  It was almost overwhelming and actually I'd like to go again at least 3 more times to see it from every angle.  It really was a visual spectacle, from the costumes- no creations, to the setting and choreography, sets and music.  Everyone here says it is a firm favourite on people's Wellington bucket list and I can REALLY see why.  I'd fully recommend you booking your visits to us in September time!

And well here we are, sat in departures waiting to come (other)home.  I can't believe it's been 3 months already.  Time goes faaaaar too fast when you live in the future....though no doubt it'll only speed up as we come home and rush around desperately trying to see everyone.

I do hope you can all make it to birthday/leaving drinks on the 18th at The Boatman in Guildford.  Remember to be nice about my hair!!!!!

No comments: